Thursday, December 05, 2013

An Open Letter to the Portland Trailblazers

Dear Blazers,

I'm writing this as an apology to your basketball team. I've watched 5 or 6 of your games so far this season (all wins), and feel a need to say I'm sorry. Without a doubt, I have underestimated you.

As I looked at your roster before the season began, I admit I was depressed. I picked you to be no better than the 9th or 10th best team in the Western Conference. If I had bet on you back then, I would have surely predicted that you wouldn't come close to making the playoffs. I figured that winning 35 games would be a stretch. Well here you are... with a record of 16-3! Your best start since 1998/99.

When I noticed you got rid of JJ Hickson (one of the brighter spots on last year's team), and brought in Robin Lopez to play center this year, I thought that was a big mistake. I was wrong. Robin has come a long way since being drafted #18 in 2008. His numbers are not far off from JJ's, and he's a MUCH better shot blocker/ defensive presence.

I remember seeing a replay of Nicolas Batum purposely whacking a Spanish player in the nuts during the Olympics. I figured he was a dirty player trying to get an advantage due to his inability to play well. He already has 2 triple doubles this year, and has proven that he can give fits to all the small forwards in the League, both defensively and offensively.

Wes Mathews... I always liked his game, but thought he was far from being one of the best shooting guards in the league. Wrong again! He's averaging over 16 points a game this year, and is tough as nails defensively. Nightly, he's guarding  all stars successfully. He's only 27 years old!

Everyone knows that Damian Lillard was Rookie Of The Year last season, but many people (including myself) waited to see if he is for real. He IS for real! He's averaging 20+ points and a shade under 6 assists a game so far. He's also playing fewer minutes this year due to the acquisition of Mo Williams. The sky's the limit for this kid!

Lamarcus Aldridge... is probably the best Power Forward in the game right now. He's averaging 23.5 points, and 9.7 rebounds a game, good for 6th and 14th (3 guys in front of him in rebounding have 9.9) respectively. NO BODY wants to have to guard him in the league! He's a monster.

You have the best record in the Western Conference. Better than the Spurs, the Thunder, the Clippers, and the Rockets. Other than the Pacers (who you beat 2 nights ago), you have the best record in the league! No one's taking you lightly any more . And that definitely includes Yours Truly.

No comments: