Friday, December 20, 2013

Catharsis

I just had a cathartic moment, and decided to write about it here. It was very powerful, and I want to write down what it was about before I loose touch with its' power. These moments are rare in my life.

I was watching a Beach Boys 50 year anniversary special on TV. I was taken by how old the members of the band had become, and was particularly drawn to Brian Wilson, as I'm familiar with the story about his collapse as well as his rise back up.

They played his song "Heroes and Villains", and I found myself almost entranced by the layers of beautiful harmony he'd created. I've heard it before, but not with the whole band involved. What a truly beautiful song!

Right after, that they played a song I grew up listening to that I always liked a lot. "Wouldn't it Be Nice" is a song I remember listening to as a small kid. Something about that song has always made me feel like it was written about me and my life.

Half way through the song I could feel tears beginning to well up in my eyes. Before I knew it, I was crying like a baby; literally sobbing and groaning. I realized that my whole life has been an adventure. I've lived almost 58 years without really understanding life, and the highs and lows we all deal with. It's all been an adventure of who each of us are as individuals and community. When you "get" that message on a cellular level, it almost feels like enlightenment. That was my catharsis.

No comments: