Saturday, February 23, 2008

Reporting Live!

I'm listening to the "Black State of the Union 2008" on C-SPAN this morning. There's a panel of black leaders talking about the current state of affairs in the U.S. as it pertains to the black community. This is the 9th year this has been aired on C-SPAN with host/moderator Tavis Smiley.

I've been very taken with what some of these folks have been saying. My man Jesse Jackson blew the roof off the place with his take on "freedom"vs. "equality". He believes (and I agree) that freedom is simply a means for acheiving equality. Freedom is fairly useless if looked upon as a goal itself. There has also been a lot of discussion generated through the words of W. E. B. DuBois, and what he had to say about this country in the 20th century.

The event is taking place in New Orleans, which seems to be a great choice of location. Mayor Ray Nagin, who is also on the panel also had some solid insight into what has happened (or not) in that city following Katrina. His determination that the Lower 9th Ward will be thoroughly rebuilt is very inspirational to me. He's also committed to reforming the incarceration and disproportionate population of blacks in the prison system, which I believe is long overdue.

This is a great way to enjoy Saturday. You oughta join me!

No comments: