Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Punk Music and Activism

Back on the 21st I wrote about a punk band that has 3 members who have developmental disabilities. There is a documentary film about them titled Heavy Load (which is also their band's name) which I highly recommend.

Anyway, I've been in contact with the band through email regarding an idea I have. I want to use their film as an educational tool for the community at large. There's a good deal of information about these 3 individuals lives which would give folks an inside look into some of the challenges people in their shoes face all around the world.

They have agreed to allow me to use their film in this manner, and I'm very excited about the opportunity this presents. I've come to a place where I believe the lack of meaningful exposure to people with developmental disabilities by the broader community is actually harmful to both groups.

I hope to soon (probably this Fall) be instumental in bringing these folks out of the shadows and into the light of real community. We'll see...

No comments: