Monday, August 18, 2008

Autism

I just found out that Oregon ranks second on the list of states with the most people diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Maybe we are talking about environmental causation, though I’ve suspected vaccines for some time as being the cause. Whatever the case may be 2nd of all the states is a pretty impressive fact.

My nephew/son Joseph has autism, but he wasn’t born here. He’s been through a lot, and continues to grow into being a productive man. When he arrived here at almost 17 my wife and I weren’t sure we could care for him. He was spoiled, non communicative, and truly self absorbed. He insisted that everyone should do as he wished or he would throw up. Seriously. Early on I made a rule. That was if he threw up it meant he was sick, and he would need to go to his bedroom AFTER cleaning up the vomit. After 1 time of doing this he stopped altogether.

I’ll tell you more about him in future posts. I just wanted to tell you about being second. Don’t know how I got off track.

No comments: