Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

I may finally be on to something that explains me. I ran into a woman this morning who has custody of her 14 year old grandson. She was telling me about his various diagnoses, which are plentiful. He has Bipolar Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Attention Deficit-Hyper Disorder, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

I was curious to know first about the PTSD, which she told me came from losing the 3 most important males in his life over a 6 month period. Next I asked about the ODD, to which she reponded that he has a strong belief about what is "fair", and gets extremely upset when things are "unfair".

Hmmm... me too! When Tracy was denied treatment by her support team, I became furious with them. How dare they make decisions about refusing treatment without even seeing her medical record! Without getting a 2nd opinion! She WAS only 44 years old at the time of her diagnosis! But you know what? I'm really not alone in my feelings. The Oregon Administrative Rules regarding abuse states very clearly what is and is not to be done in caring for people with developmental disabilities.

"Failure to act/neglect that leads to or is in imminent danger of causing physical injury, through negligent omission, treatment, or maltreatment of an adult, including but not limited to failure by a provider or staff to provide an adult with adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical care, supervision, or through condoning or permitting abuse of an adult by any other person. However, no person shall be deemed neglected or abused for the sole reason that he or she voluntarily relies on treatment through prayer alone in lieu of medical treatment."

It seems as though the OARs must have been written by someone with oppositional defiant disorder. Go figure...

No comments: