Thursday, August 06, 2009

End of Operation Cool Air??

Today Bill and I will complete the installation of the air conditioners donated to Operation Cool Air. How do I feel about this? Honestly, my back is glad it's coming to a (temporary) close. My mind and spirit are truly grateful that we were able to alliviate the suffering of around 30-35 people through the generosity of those who donated 14 new and used air conditioners to the cause.

On the other hand, I'm feeling like we let a whole lot of other people down. There's still 2 months ahead of us where their is a real possibility for more extended, dangerous heat. What about those folks? I kid you not when I say things like PEOPLE WITH DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES RUN A HIGH RISK FOR INJURY WHEN OVERHEATED. During the last heat wave seizures and uncontrolled asthma in at least 3 of these individuals was staved off by our efforts. Who knows what else we were able to prevent.

When and if the heat returns, I won't be able to sit back and feel ok about what we accomplished. I will be in your ears, in your minds, and hopefully... in your hearts.

No comments: