Friday, July 20, 2007

Can they Even DO THIS in Oregon??

Have you ever gone to a job interview where everything seemed to go perfectly... the people you meet with seem to genuinely appreciate your skill set, the job pays well, you’ll be doing exactly the kind of work you’re interested in, with a combination of autonomy, teamwork, and intrinsic reward you’re after? Then the bomb drops. They hand you an application at the end of the interview, asking you to fax it back to them after it’s completed.

You get home, look the ap. over, and see this at the end of it:
----------------------------------------------------
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING THIS APPLICATION:
[Employer] is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation, marital status, disability or veteran status.

Interviews are given on a competitive basis, using job-related factors, after a written application has been received and reviewed. Because of the large number of applications received, not everyone who applies for a vacant position will be interviewed.

I certify that I have answered truthfully and have not knowingly withheld any information relative to my application. I understand that any misrepresentation or material omission of this application will result in my being eliminated from further consideration. I understand that, if accepted for employment, any misrepresentation or material omission which becomes known to [Employer], will result in immediate termination of my employment.

I authorize all previous employers and supervisors, including all persons with and for whom I have worked, to give [Employer] representatives any and all information regarding me and my previous employment. I release [Employer], and all previous employers and supervisors from liability for any damages that may result from furnishing information to [Employer].

In submitting this application for employment, I also authorize investigation of all matters which [Employer] deems relevant to my qualification for employment, including specifically a criminal history check, and I release from all liability any persons or employers supplying such information, and I also release [Employer] from all liability which might result from making the investigation.

I understand that, if selected, I will be required to provide proof of my identity and my legal right to work in the United States prior to actual employment with [Employer].

I understand that [Employer] is a Drug Free Workplace and that my employment is subject to the satisfactory results of a mandatory chemical screen test. I agree to conform to all rules and regulations of [Employer] as they presently exist or are later modified.

In consideration of my employment, I agree to conform to the instructions, rules and policies of [Employer]. My employment and compensation can be terminated at any time, with or without cause and with or without notice, at the option of either the company or myself. I agree that any disputes arising from my employment or termination of my employment will be resolved under the open door procedure that is in effect in the employer's handbook/policy manual. I understand that no representative of the company has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time, or to make any agreement contrary to the foregoing.


Signature: Date:

----------------------------------------------------------
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want the government reading my email, don’t want the mark of the beast tattooed on my forehead, and don’t want to sign away my rights.

No comments: