Thursday, January 10, 2008

What a Difference A Dollar Makes $$$

Back in June I wrote about a friend of mine who was “placed” in deplorable conditions to heal from an injured knee. The place was a Nursing Home, which catered to folks who were primarily on the Oregon health Plan (Medicaid), in need of rehabilitative services..

I wrote about what the place was like, how it smelled and the general vibe. It was nasty to say the least.

For the last week I’ve been dealing with another friend (this time a hip) who was discharged from a hospital to a Nursing Home which also provides rehabilitative services to people on better, private insurance and Medicare.

The differences in Facilities has been amazing! This place has a professional yet homey atmosphere. The paint and decor are very cheery and conducive to feeling good about one’s self and situation. Going there to visit is a pleasant experience compared to the depressive atmosphere in the other facility. The people there are talkative, smiling, and very much involved in their treatment.

I spoke with my friend yesterday, comparing her experience to my other friend’s. She didn’t feel guilty, but made it clear that she feels that everyone should be able to have the same sort of treatment for rehabilitation that she’s having. I couldn’t agree with her more.

No comments: