Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 1 of the 2009 Legislative Session

As the Oregon Legislature begins a new session this morning, I've decided to report on the people and legislation that's important and/or amusing to me. I'm convinced this will keep me busy for the next several months.

The first point I want to make is how utterly silly it is watching polished professional testifiers as they speak to the law makers. The way they begin every single answer to a question with "Chair so-and-so, Co Chair so-and-so, Members, and anything else they add in there". It's a complete waste of time. These are people they are talking to, not royalty.

My wife told me that she would be insulted by this language if she were a legislator, but I suspect there are folks who find it ego stroking to have the peasantry address them in such a manner. Let the reporting begin!

No comments: